One of my favorite movies is “I Love You, Man.” It depicts a realtor, Peter Klaven, trying to sell Lou Ferrigno’s estate. The character we all love to hate, Tevin Downey, is the bleach-haired, cheesy, obnoxious weasel that keeps trying to steal Peter’s listing. Tevin’s classic line while talking to Peter is, “You’ve got the steak, but I’ve got the sizzle… my nizzle.”
DIFFERENTIATE YOUR BUSINESS
Tevin actually brings up a great point: You need to spice up your real estate business to differentiate yourself from the competition. Listen, I don’t take Tevin’s word as gospel and I certainly don’t have urinal cakes with my face on them (if you haven’t seen the movie I just REALLY lost you); but I do use his advice in my business.
THERE ARE EASY WAYS YOU CAN “SELL THE SIZZLE” EVERY DAY
1) Car – I drive a black Mercedes ML350. I bought it as a 1-year old certified pre-owned for $35,000. The same time I bought my Benz I had friends buying Ford Edges and Honda Accords for the same price. Don’t get me wrong, those are great cars… but don’t you think a Mercedes brings a bit more sex appeal when you show up to an appointment?
2) Head shots – This is my biggest pet peeve in all of real estate. Most realtors have cheesy headshots that belong in the “Bad Family Picture” articles. For mine, I went and stood in front of a beautiful building in Santa Barbara, took a deep breath, and smiled naturally. People want to see the real you, not the constipated prom picture version of you.
3) Attire – How I represent myself gives a glimpse into how I conduct business; so I dress well! As real estate professionals, WE are our businesses so we need to invest in our image. When I tell my clients that my marketing is clean, innovative, and effective; I want my outfit that day to substantiate it.
CLIENTS WILL KNOW 90% ABOUT YOU BEFORE YOU EVER SAY A WORD
Actions speak louder than words. People look more at what you do than what you say, and before you ever have a chance to say anything clients will know all of this about you:
- Your internet presence (head shot, online marketing, videos)
- The car you drive
- The outfit you are wearing
You are crazy if you think that people don’t Google search you and check out your car and outfit as you arrive. You must control every piece of publicity, even if it is just your shirt.